- Common Name: Herbaceous peony, Paeony, Peony
- Position: Full sun, Partial shade, East-facing, South-facing, West-facing, Sheltered
- Soil: Moist but well-drained, Clay, Loam, Sand, Alkaline, Neutral
- Flowers: Spring, Summer
- Flower Colour: Red
- Hardiness: H6 - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe
- Habit: Deciduous, Bushy
- Height & Spread: 90cm × 50cm
Yes, it really is this colour!
Impressive single blooms of brightest scarlet red, with glowing bright golden centres. The flowers are held on strong stems and sway gently in the slightest breeze. Mid season flowering this charming garden peony will grow to around 90cm. The foliage is unusually bright green without the usual red tints that peonies usually have. This is due to this peony being a hybrid of Paeonia peregrina, which has no red pigmentation in its leaves. This great peony is easily grown but does best in full sun in a drier well drained soil.
How to plant and care for peonies
If you have never grown a peony before, or just need a few tips or reminders, read our care guide here!